At Pure, patient safety is our top priority. Many new clients notice that we may require a few extra steps to provide clearance and assess your readiness for procedures, including how well you will care for yourself post-surgery. We want to make your recovery is as pleasant as possible and reduce the risk of infection. My infection rate for BBL is less than two percent (2%) which is significantly lower than the national average of 10% for this procedure. Our team takes every precaution to create and maintain a sterile environment during surgery.
In many cases, infections after surgery are the result of issues that arise during patient aftercare. While rare for our patients, infections after surgery can occur and if left untreated, can be dangerous. Infections after surgery are caused by germs and bacteria that are on our skin, in our bodies, or in the environment that surrounds us. Some common bacteria are Streptococcus, Staphylococcus and enteric bacteria.
How do I know if I have an infection after plastic surgery?
After surgery it is normal to experience pain and swelling. However, if you have red spots, increased pain, skin that feels warm to the touch, yellow or green discharge or a bad smell coming from the incision, you may have an infection. If you notice these signs and symptoms, contact us immediately.
- The skin feels warm or hot to the touch
- Increased Pain
- Yellow or green fluid discharging from the incision site
- Bad smell coming from the incision site
Here are a few post-op tips to help reduce the risk of infections.
- Wash your hands often and prior to handling bandages and dressings; require those assisting with aftercare to do the same
- Keep the air and area around you clean
- Shower as instructed after surgery
- Attend all follow-up visits
- Follow all post-operative instructions
- Clean incisions and keep them dry
- Follow doctor recommendations for changing bandages and dressings – ensure incisions are dry before covering
- Rest and refrain from strenuous activity
- Contact us at the first signs or symptoms of infection
If you believe you have an infection, please contact our team immediately at: (305) 230-4326.