You may also hear a breast lift referred to as a mastopexy. This is a type of treatment that will alter your breasts’ shape. During a breast lift, the excess skin is removed and the remaining tissue in the breasts will be reshaped so that the breasts are lifted to a youthful position.
While a breast lift is not designed to significantly increase the size of your breasts, you can achieve this by combining it with breast augmentation should you wish.
Breast Lift Preparation
There are a number of things you can do to prepare for a breast lift at Pure Plastic Surgery. This includes the following:
- Avoid taking any herbal supplements, anti-inflammatory drugs, or aspirin, as they can result in bleeding
- Stop smoking
- Get a baseline mammogram prior to the surgery, as well as one afterward, as this assists with detecting any future changes to the tissue in your breast
- You may be requested to adjust your current medications to take certain medications in some cases
- In some incidents, a medical evaluation or lab test may be needed.
Breast Lift Procedure
Once you have been given anesthesia to ensure you are comfortable throughout the treatment, the procedure will begin. The incision will be made, with different incision patterns used depending on your goals and body. Next, the surgeon will reshape the breasts. This involves:
- Lifting the underlying breast tissue and reshaping it to enhance breast firmness and contour.
- Excess breast skin will be taken away so the loss of elasticity is compensated for.
- If needed, enlarged areolas will be reduced by excising skin at the perimeter.
- The areola and nipple are repositioned to a more youthful and natural height.
After this, the incisions will be closed.