What is a Breast Lift?
You may also hear a breast lift referred to as a mastopexy. This is a type of treatment that will alter your breasts’ shape. During a breast lift, the excess skin is removed and the remaining tissue in the breasts will be reshaped so that the breasts are lifted to a youthful position.
While a breast lift is not designed to significantly increase the size of your breasts, you can achieve this by combining it with breast augmentation should you wish.
BREAST LIFT PREPARATION
There are a number of things you can do to prepare for a breast lift at Pure Plastic Surgery. This includes the following:
- Avoid taking any herbal supplements, anti-inflammatory drugs, or aspirin, as they can result in bleeding
- Stop smoking
- Get a baseline mammogram prior to the surgery, as well as one afterward, as this assists with detecting any future changes to the tissue in your breast
- You may be requested to adjust your current medications to take certain medications in some cases
- In some incidents, a medical evaluation or lab test may be needed.
BREAST LIFT PROCEDURE
Once you have been given anesthesia to ensure you are comfortable throughout the treatment, the procedure will begin. The incision will be made, with different incision patterns used depending on your goals and body. Next, the surgeon will reshape the breasts. This involves:
- Lifting the underlying breast tissue and reshaping it to enhance breast firmness and contour.
- Excess breast skin will be taken away so the loss of elasticity is compensated for.
- If needed, enlarged areolas will be reduced by excising skin at the perimeter.
- The areola and nipple are repositioned to a more youthful and natural height.
After this, the incisions will be closed.
BREAST LIFT RECOVERY
It is important that you follow the steps that are provided by your surgeon in regard to post-operative care. This is something your surgeon will discuss with you in full.
Patients will tend to take between three and seven days off work after their treatment. There will be restrictions regarding what you can and cannot do after this, which can last for up to three weeks after the treatment.
For your breasts to achieve their final shape, this will take between six and 12 weeks.
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR A BREAST LIFT?
A good candidate for breast lift surgery is the following:
- You have one breast that is lower than the other
- You are healthy physically and maintain a weight that is stable
- You have skin that is stretched and enlarged areolas
- You do not smoke
- Your nipples and areolas point in a downward direction
- You feel like your breasts have lost shape and volume, and this is getting to you
- Your breasts feel flat, elongated in shape, or are pendulous
- When your breasts are not supported, your nipples will fall below the breast crease
TAKE THE NEXT STEP
The best way to learn more about your options with breast lift surgery is by meeting with Dr. Earle in Miami. We invite you to schedule a consultation with our team by calling us at (305) 4242826 or filling out our online form.